Jared Minkel, Ph.D.
EDUCATION and SCIENTIFIC TRAINING
2010-present Duke University, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
Advisor: Ahmad Hariri, PhD
Laboratory of NeuroGenetics
University of Pennsylvania, Clinic Psychology
Advisor: David F. Dinges, PhD
Unit for Experimental Psychiatry
Medical School and VA Palo Alto, Center for Health Care Evaluation
Advisors: Keith N. Humphreys and Jodie A. Trafton, PhD
2002 University of California, Berkeley, Psychology BA, 2002
Undergraduate Mentor: Joseph J. Campos
University, School of Medicine, Internship in Clinical Psychology
Supervisors: Zachary Rosenthal, PhD, Clive Robins, PhD, Jill Compton, PhD
2008-2009 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) - Treatment of Pediatric Sleep Disorders, Advanced Practicum
Supervisor: Jodi Mindell, PhD
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center and Philadelphia VA Hospital, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
Supervisor: Philip Gehrman, PhD
2007-2008 University of Pennsylvania, Depression Research Unit, Cognitive Therapy for Depression, Practicum
Supervisor: Robert J. DeRubeis, PhD
of Pennsylvania Training in Behavior Therapy, Practicum
Supervisor: Alan Goldstein, PhD
National Research Service Award (NRSA) 2008-2009
Early Career Distinguished Research Award, Behavioral Sleep Medicine 2010
Wisconsin Emotion Symposium, Research Fellow 2006, 2007, 2008
Sleep Research Study Travel Award 2005, 2007, 2008
Fellowship to attend the 58th Conference of Nobel Laureates 2007
1. Minkel, J.D., Htaik, O., Banks, S., Dinges, D.F. (in press). Emotional expressiveness in sleep deprived healthy adults. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
2. Minkel J.D., Dinges D.F. (2009). Human Circadian Rhythms: Circadian rhythms in sleepiness, alertness, and performance. New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience. (Larry R. Squire, senior editor) Elsevier.
3. Minkel J.D., Banks S., Dinges D.F. (2009). Sleep Deprivation and Behavior. New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience. (Larry R. Squire, senior editor) Elsevier.
4. Trafton JA, Minkel J.D., Humphreys KN. (2006) Patients with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder respond well to Opioid Replacement Therapy. Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 67(2).
5. Trafton JA, Minkel J.D., Humphreys K. (2006) Determining Effective Methadone Doses for Individual Opioid Dependent Patients. PLoS Medicine. Feb 7;3(3):e80
6. Trafton J.A., Oliva E.M., Horst D.A., Minkel J.D., Humphreys KN. (2004) Treatment needs associated with pain in substance use disorders patients: Implications for treatment as a dual diagnosis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 73(23-31).
7. Trafton J.A., Minkel J.D., Oliva E., Horst D.H. (2003) Long-term efficacy of interventions to reduce substance use behaviors. In: Best Practices in the Behavioral Management of Chronic Disease Volume 1. (Trafton JA and Gordon W eds.) Institute for Disease Management: Los Altos, CA.
2. Minkel J, McGlinchey E, Caruso H, Ecker E, William J, Banks S, Dinges D. (2007) Sleep deprivation and stress have additive effects on negative mood states. SLEEP 30: A135-A135 Suppl. S.
3. McGlinchey EL, Banks S, Minkel JD, Dinges, DF. (2006) Effect of introversion-extroversion on mood during chronic sleep restriction. SLEEP 29: A378-A378 1103 Suppl. S
4. Minkel J, Banks S, McGlinchey EL, Dinges, DF. (2005) Relationships among mood and neurocognitive tasks after five nights of partial sleep deprivation. SLEEP 28: A129-A129 Suppl. S
5. McGlinchey EL, Banks S, Minkel JD, Dinges, DF. (2005) Effect of chronic sleep restriction on pre-frontal cortex functioning and its relationship to IQ and personality. SLEEP 28: A349-A349 1029 Suppl. S.
1.Minkel J, Banks S, Htaik O, Dinges D. (2008) Sleep deprivation decreases positive facial displays in response to amusing film clips. SLEEP Volume: 31 Pages: A133-A133 Supplement: Suppl. S